List:       rfci-discuss
Subject:    [RFCI-Discuss] whois contacts pointing to registrar
From:       flash22 () ids ! net
Date:       2002-02-10 23:55:00

The Listing policy doesn't really say anything about this, so I'm asking
the list. Is having the Technical contact info pointing at the registrar
when the DNS is obviously not being handled by the registrar, and the
domain isn't obviously parked, make sense?

Example:

   Domain Name: NATIONAL-ISP.ORG
   Technical Contact:
      VeriSign, Inc.  (HOST-ORG)  namehost@WORLDNIC.NET
      VeriSign, Inc.
      21355 Ridgetop Circle
      Dulles, VA 20166
      US
      1-888-642-9675 fax:
   Domain servers in listed order:

   DCA-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET    205.171.9.242
   SVL-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET    205.171.14.195

Granted i can 'guess' about the HOST records, but this means i have to do
another query, with assumptions about the data...

It also seems to make the technical contact information meaningless, the
registrar is already known, it makes no sense having it as tech contact
except in the case where the registrar is providing the actual DNS ?

This particular domain is already listed for bouncing abuse@ , so contact
information would seem to be an issue....[eg, it's obfuscated, a related
domain is also pointing at a registrar that has nothing to do with it's
dns]

This seems to be a new trick for hiding...

I was going to add another one here, but, um, ...

* WELCOME to the VeriSign Global Registry Service Whois Server.
*
* Sorry, the Whois database is currently down.

poof :(

gsh