List:       rfci-discuss
Subject:    [RFCI-Discuss] Finding contact information for a database operator
From:       Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell () ripe ! net>
Date:       2001-10-23 16:54:14

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 der Mouse wrote in reply to Gerard Ross:

> > [...Web goop...] Included in this information are notes on how to
> > report invalid contact details in the APNIC whois, see:
> >    http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse/index.html#7
>
> Now all I have to do is remember info@apnic.net, a most unobvious
> address for broken-contact-info notifications.  Well, it's better than

In the above, you are referring to a desire to report to $FOO broken
information in $FOO's database.  In most instances of $FOO, where $FOO is
an IP or Domain Registry, the output of whois.$FOO.net includes a brief
banner message where further information about $FOO can be found.

It is also a reasonable assumption to replace 'whois.' with 'hostmaster@'
to report the broken database record (ie, 'hostmaster@$FOO.net').  In most
cases this will not actually work, but you'll get a response giving
information on where you should report it.  (Yes, this does work for
'hostmaster@apnic.net', its just not the end address for such reports)

It is not a reasonable assumption to assume that to report a broken
database record in $FOO's database, you refer to $BAR's database.

I return you to your main thread of why $FOO's incomplete,
non-authoritative entry in $BAR's database is wrong.

                ( Formerly Senior Systems )                             NCC
                (   Administrator - APNIC )                      Operations