List:       rfci-discuss
Subject:    Re: [RFCI-Discuss] Simple Question
From:       Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell () ripe ! net>
Date:       2001-10-22 11:56:03

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 Derek J. Balling wrote:

> To those of you who USE the ipwhois zone - speak up now if you think
> the gentleman from RIPE (who has stated that RIPE intends to follow
> APNIC's lead in removing their contact info from ARIN) is right and
> that these networks should be removed from the listing database.

I think that they should be removed, and that rfc-ignorant.org should stop
being ignorant about the how IP numbers are allocated, however I'm
slightly biased in this matter ;)

I should clarify my statement however.  The three current Regional
Internet Registries (APNIC, ARIN, RIPE NCC) have a number of inter-RIR
projects going on.  One of these projects will result in the management of
non-ARIN space being passed from ARIN to the appropriate RIR.

Once this is completed, there is no need for any non-ARIN records to
appear in the ARIN database, either non-authoritatively (referral records)
or authoritatively[1].  The ARIN database will then only return ARIN
information.

Around the same time, another inter-RIR project should occur with each
RIR's WHOIS server providing, *if requested*, records of other RIRs.

The end effect, whois.ARIN.net will no longer be the de-facto starting
point for WHOIS (IP) lookups.

                ( Formerly Senior Systems )                             NCC
                (   Administrator - APNIC )                      Operations

[1] Currently, if an RIR has a nice classful chunk (eg, 202/8), the
    management of that is fully undertaken by that RIR.  There are some
    non-classful chunks that are pseudo-managed by that RIR, but the
    actual record is maintained, for in-addr.arpa reasons, in the ARIN
    database.  This is the main reason that some records are still in
    the ARIN database.