List:       reiserfs-devel
Subject:    (reiserfs) when the disk format changes...
From:       "Marc Rouaix" <rouaix () my-Deja ! com>
Date:       1999-08-17 21:21:47

Hans Reiser suggested that the best solution for upgrading a filesystem is tar.  Unfortunately, many PC users don't have any backup device or have a backup device that's really only suitable for backing up personal data.  So I'd like to point out that if reiserfs gets the ability to shrink and grow filesystems, then assuming I understand how that would work, someone will be able to write (once and for all) a utility that shrinks the filesystem as much as possible, makes a new filesystem in the extra space, and then loops copying files to the new filesystem and adjusting the filesystem border.  I don't know how efficient this could be made.  Obviously it wouldn't always work, but if files were compressed as they were copied, it seems like it could nearly always work, and with a little care there wouldn't be any danger of getting stuck half way and unable to get back to the old filesystem.

---
Marc