List:       reiserfs-devel
Subject:    (reiserfs) Reiserfs source code available, dev. schedule, bug remains but we hope....
From:       Hans Reiser <reiser () ricochet ! net>
Date:       1998-04-30 23:30:54

Vladimir writes:
> Current code is now available via
> ftp:/namesys.botik.ru/home/ftp/pub/linux-2.1.90+reiserfs.
> It will be updated every day. I will also create patch to make
> downloading easier.
> Note, that it is not recommended to download code right now as it
> contains a lot of stupid things that we added just to catch the error.

In sum, if you want to add stuff to reiserfs, you can add to this code
base, and then send the code to reiser@ricochet.net, and to
vs@namesys.botik.ru.  If you benchmark this code before Vladimir can
remove the debugging crud, we shoot you.:)  I think we will find the bug
fairly soon.

If you want to use/benchmark reiserfs, please wait 1-2 months.

Note to Eric: you may implement as much of the 40 bit stuff as you want
to, we will do the reiserfs portion around June if you don't beat us to
it.  If the code for keys seems cryptic, send us email.

Latest Schedule:

I start a mindless money-grubbing 6-12 month contract on Monday.

I hope that we can:

* second beta release reiserfs in June,
* stabilize second beta over three months of users finding bugs
* implement 40 bit files (a high priority because it is probably easy
unless 40 bit arithmetic is hard to code due to gcc problems with long
long integers)
* add preserving of nodes converted between direct and indirect nodes
* submit reiserfs for 2.3 in September
* implement seals/SMP (I want to do seals as much to simplify the code
as to implement SMP),
* have me quit my contract around december, and fly to russia to
develop the details of a major rewrite to support an abstract item layer
(to simplify the code so that adding new types of trees and items is
easy),
* implement 3 trees with interleaved layout of the nodes of the three
trees according to a virtual semantic neighbor algorithm by 7/99
* then consider a distributed file system

I hope to vacation in January/February, though I may visit Nina for a
week in the summer.