List:       reiserfs-devel
Subject:    Re: kernel BUG at fs/reiser4/plugin/file/tail_conversion.c:80?
From:       Jindrich Makovicka <makovick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-21 12:04:11

On Sun, 21 May 2006 12:39:05 +0200
Maximilian Mehnert <widolo87@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Kernel-Patch: reiser4-for-2.6.16-2.patch.gz
>
> kernel BUG at fs/reiser4/plugin/file/tail_conversion.c:80!
> invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
> [...]
>

> I thought that maybe someone with greater insight than I might be
> interested in the attached kernel dump.
> I don't know how to reproduce this - the only thing I can say is,
> that I had several reiser4 partitions under heavy load. (Now I
> changed to reiserfs... Too many problems with reiser4 during the last
> days.. :-( )

This was a really frequent matter during the last two weeks. Please
look for the patches that were posted.

> I noticed another thing: using reiser4 for some days on my laptop
> rendered kopete (instant messaging application) nearly unresponsive.
> Looking at the output of strace it seems that the frequent use of
> fsync()  (in sqlite) causes heavy i/o with reiser4. This problem does
> not occur with ext3 or reiserfs...

This is a known issue. fsync() and sync() generate a lot of seeking,
and are painfully slow. I have the same problems with postgresql's
vacuum and db4 open/close here.

Regards,
--
Jindrich Makovicka