List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: (OT)Quick Hub Question
From:       Chris Watt <cnww () chebucto ! ns ! ca>
Date:       2001-07-31 19:16:45

At 08:43 AM 7/31/01 -0700, Brad Bonkoski wrote:

>Sorry for off topic, but I have a quick question.  I have a D-link 4 port
hub
>and no matter what I have plugged into it as far as Ethernet the collision
>light is always on.  Is this a result of a bad hub, or is there some way to
>reset it?  TIA.

This is almost always a sign of bad hardware in my experience, it may or
may not be the hub itself. Suggestions:

1. Make sure you always do a (hard) reboot of a machine before changing
it's connection from a crossover cable or switch (full duplex) to a hub
(half duplex) or vice versa.

2. Once you have your 3 systems (2 computers and a gateway right?)
connected, and the collision light is on, try unplugging the machines one
at a time. If the light suddenly goes off when you unplug one, chances are
good that that machine has a bad NIC. Failing that, borrow (or buy from a
place with a good return policy) another hub and try that out.

3. Consider what you mean by "always on", on a busy 100mbit/s network you
can have a few hundred collisions per second before it has any serious
impact on performance. It is even less of a problem if the gateway connects
you to a slower network (e.g. cable modem or ADSL which typically run at or
below 10mbit/s). Measure your actually performance internal (e.g. by flood
pinging from one machine to another) and external. If you have no
connectivity through the network, ignore this paragraph.

4. If it turns out to be a software configuration issue that you can't, or
don't want to deal with, pop over to a dirt-cheap hardware dealer (e.g.
http://www.fastmodems.com/order.htm#network where you can get a 5-port
10/100 switch for $40).

Hope this helps :)
--

Irony: Bill Gates claims to be making a stable Operating System,
and Linus Torvalds claims to be taking over the world.