List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: Printing over Samba
From:       Devon <devon1 () charter ! net>
Date:       2001-05-01 3:38:00

On Monday 30 April 2001 08:18 pm, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > tool, I tried to configure a networked printer off my Windows machine.
> > > The printer in question is a Canon BJC-1000 and the Windows box is
> > > running Win98SE and the printer is hooked up to LPT1 and it IS shared.
> >
> > Use "printtool" to configure a remote SMB printer.
>
> I tried that and it doesn't seem to work... here's my /etc/printcap:

> Any other ideas? In the print queue window, I get an error "Server: no
> server active" and it never prints.... and eventually after about 3 tries
> it just kills the print job. :-(
> I don't have a password on the printer if that makes any difference..and I
> didn't include a password when creating the printer in printtool either...

I'm using a SMB printer, maybe I can help.

To get it working for me, I ran printtool and did the following:
Select new (or edit, if the print spool exists already)
Enter a queue name and alias for the spooler.
(If I remember correctly, until I added an alias, printing failed, though
that may be unrelated.)
Select the queue type. (windows printer (SMB share))
Enter the share name as  //server/share and enter the host IP.
click ok, in the main window, save changes and restart lpd.

In /var/spool/lpd/lp, I have a file script.cfg, which I believe is created by
printtool. The contents of that file are:
share="//windoze/hp"
hostip="192.168.0.1"
user=""
password=""
workgroup=""
translate="no"

Can you ping the windows machine, by the way?
You might also try
smbclient  -N -L  //machinename (If the share requires a password, remove the
-N flag)
which should list the machines available shares. Like so:
        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        PRINTER$        Disk
        HP                    Printer
        F                       Disk      CD_WRITER
        E                       Disk      CD_ROM
        ZIP                    Disk
        IPC$                 IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication

Hope that helps,

-D

--
toilet toup'ee, n.:
	Any shag carpet that causes the lid to become top-heavy, thus