List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re:  Printing over Samba
From:       "Pete Peterson" <petersonp () genrad ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 17:19:51

> From: John Aldrich <john@chattanooga.net>
> To: KDE User List <kde-user@lists.netcentral.net>
> Subject: Printing over Samba
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:13:13 -0400
> Cc: "'redhat-list@redhat.com'" <redhat-list@redhat.com>
>
> I've asked this question on the Samba list, but either no one knows the
> answer or they don't want to answer. :-)

I've found that the people on the Samba list are very helpful; it's not
likely that they don't WANT to answer.

If you want to maximize the likelihood of getting answers to your
questions, you need to know how to ask the questions and what information
to provide.

> I've got Samba up and running on my RedHat 7.1 box. Using the Webmin
> tool, I tried to configure a networked printer off my Windows machine.

Samba is a tool that runs on numerous different Unix platforms.  Only a
fraction of the people on the Samba list are Linux users and only a very
small percentage of them would be running 7.1.  Samba comes with a GUI
setup tool called SWAT, so you won't find a lot of people on the Samba list
who use Webmin to set up their smb.conf file.  Probably most of them don't
even use SWAT, but do it the easy way by manually editing the default
smb.conf file which contains lots of helpful comments.  (Note that the
GUI tools usually destroy all the helpful comments in the file).

Similarly, for people on a RedHat list, the majority wouldn't have
experience with setting up Samba (and maybe printing) with Webmin.
Although I don't like to use either SWAT or Webmin for these things, I'm
not trying to criticize webmin in particular, but if you use these GUI
tools to mung your setup files, you're much better off showing the RESULT
of running these tools so that people familiar with Samba and/or lpr/lprNG
can maybe help you.

In particular -- you might find it helps if you include:
  The printing-related entries in your smb.conf file, or maybe the whole
  file if it isn't too huge.

  The contents of your printcap file relating to the printer in question.

  What happens if you try to "lpr" a simple text file to the printer from a
  shell window?

  Any relevant error messages in messages file, log.smb file, error files
  on windoze machine?

By doing this, you enable people who understand Samba and Linux printing to
help you without knowing the peculiarities of a particular GUI setup tool.

> The printer in question is a
> Canon BJC-1000 and the Windows box is running Win98SE and the printer is
> hooked up to LPT1 and it IS shared. I've printed to it from my dad's
> computer before. And, as I said, I can see the windows shares from my
> linux box and vice versa.  What I can't seem to do is print to the
> windows printer via Samba. Even using the "printer" tool in KDE2.1 I
> can't even print a "test" page. I've tried all three printer "driver"
> options that Webmin has for that printer and none of 'em even cause a
> form feed! :-( I *know* the printer works because I've printed from
> Windows recently... :-) ANY suggestions (other than "scrap it and hook up
> a REAL printer to the linux box") are welcome <G>
> 	Thanks...
> 	John
Nope -- you don't have to give up; you should be able to make it work.

I have my printers connected to the Linux box and print *TO* that *FROM* a
Windoze box, but elsewhere, I've printed from Linux to Windows (NT4, not
98) via Samba with no problems.

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        petersonp@genrad.com or rep@genrad.com
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);  +1-978-256-5829 (Home: Chelmsford, MA)
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)