List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: (no subject)
From:       Dave Wreski <dave () nic ! com>
Date:       2001-02-13 23:09:47

> Although I am relatively new to Linux, I have done kernel upgrades in
> the past without a problem.  I cannot figure out what is going wrong
> this time! My system is using mkinitrd from the mkintrd-2.6-1 RPM.
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to overcome this last hurdle in
> the kernel upgade?

Run "modprobe loop" then try it again. While the devices may physically
exist in /dev, it may be the case that there is no kernel support for
them and running modprobe will trigger the kernel to load the device
support for it.

Afterwards, running "dmesg" should show something along the lines of:

loop: registered device at major 7

Regards,
Dave