List:       redhat-list
Subject:    KDE2
From:       CH krikofer () cwnet ! com
Date:       2000-11-10 7:50:02

I had problems attempting to install it correctly so it will run at all.  I
still have not gotten it to install exactly correctly because during upgrade
from KDE 1.1 to 2.0, I install libmng.so.0 and qt-devel-2.2.1 and qt-2.2.1
then had to install flex. When done then I attempted to install all KDE
parts then it complains that kdevelop-1.2-12 and kpppload-1.04-19 had
dependency problem and it was part of KDE 1.1 and I manually uninstall it
using rpm manager then finally all kde parts then I used switchdesk and make
KDE 2.0 default then log out then log back in into KDE and finally it shows
up.  It works good but somewhat unstable and few broken programs.  Mouse
acted jerky in a way it seems to synchronize with the clock.  Kaiman does
not work right.  At least startup sound works.  I am still evaluating it on
my evaluation computer.  I thought at first it was a final release but I was
wrong because I went into Control Center and it is KDE 2.0pre.  So it's
still seems to be beta.  I was warned about Control Center having crash
problem when exiting.  It definitely will happen everytime I exit.  I still
think it's worth evaluating because it also has a program called Konqueror
Web Browser.  It works much like Windows IE5, only better in certain
features.  I am hoping it does not crash like nuts like Netscape.  Netscape
does not crash that often but definitely crashes when I tried to view
Javascript web page.

CH