List:       redhat-list
Subject:    I think really need some help!  (Redhat 6.1)
From:       Stephen L Arnold sarnold () earthling ! net
Date:       2000-07-31 6:30:15

On 30 Jul 00, at 22:09, linda hanigan wrote:

> <snip>
> > My question is: How can I change the resolution to (at least)
> > 800x600x70?
> >
> > I've allready tried the Xconfigurator, but it just gives back a
> > lot of errors. And when I skip all the tests, X Windows refuses to
> > start up and
> .<snip>
> I got my screen resolution up to 600 X 800 by playing
> with the values in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config
> for some reason the setup set horizonal sync to 31.5
> In my case the value of 30-70 worked well.
> When I tried the full range that the monitor could handle
> I did not like the results so I cut it back to this.

You should always use the correct settings for your monitor.  If
you don't like the highest resolution, then change the list of
modes in the appropriate screen section (this is just an example):

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX,
# W32, Mach64 I128, and S3V)
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "ViewSonic 15ES"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Add the modes you want to use, in the order you want them to come
up, up to the highest resolution you can use comfortably.  Then set
the 'virtual' setting to the same as the highest in your list of
modes (unless you *like* a larger virtual desktop).  I use the
pager and virtual desktops in E instead...

Steve