List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Problem connecting to mysql
From:       Bob Hartung rwhartung () home ! com
Date:       2000-05-31 23:16:00

This is a repost of a post to the mysql list.  The only response I
received there was that I shouldn'g mess with the permission tables
directly.  My problem is connecting to mysql.sock.  This may be
addressed more appropriately here on the RH list.  Hope someone can give
me a hand.

I'd appreciate some pointers to get me going in the right direction

MySQL version 3.22.30
OS  Linux RH 6.1 on Athlon 700

I am having trouble connecting to mysql as anything other than root.
I have added a user with

    insert into user host, user, password values('localhost',
'inspiron', password('rwhart') ) ;

select host, user, password from user;   lists the user, server and an
encrypted password okay.

Then I logout and log back in as user 'XXXXXXX' with pwd 'YYYYYY' then
issue
     mysql -h localhost -u inspiron -prwhart
Note:  'XXXXXXX' and 'YYYYYYY' above are different and of mixed case
that the username and passwords used to connect to MySQL.

The follow error is returned:

error 2002: Can't connect o local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql.sock' (111)

Does anyone have some suggestions re: where to start ferreting out the
fix.  My reasons are that I am trying to learn PHP based scripting for
interactive web pages that I plan to implement on an intranet for a
medical database.

TIA

Bob Hartung