List:       redhat-list
Subject:    mount problem (urgent!!)
From:       fred smith fredex () fcshome ! stoneham ! ma ! us
Date:       2000-05-31 17:55:04

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 08:44:27PM +0800, Mark Lo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>           I did backup some of the major programs using tar to floppy
> disk.  Now, my origional server is formatted, and have it re-installed.
> But, with the new redhat 6.2, I won't be able to mount the floppy disk.
> So that I am not able to recovery my programs.  I have tried to use
> various system platform like vat, msdos, sysv...etc.  but still
> unsuccessful..
> I got the following error messages..  Wong fs type, bad block, or too
> many mounted file system...etc.   Any information is helpful.

If you made the backup with tar like this:

	tar cvfM /dev/fd0 <file list>

then there IS no filesystem on the diskettes, so you *can't* mount them.

You reload them with tar like this:

	tar xvfM /dev/fd0

which reloads everything in the archive. If you want to load subsets of
it, then list the parts you want to load as the <file list>.

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked