List:       redhat-list
Subject:    KDE & system like cold molasses
From:       Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel () Infinity-ltd ! com
Date:       2000-05-03 22:33:58

At 02:28 PM 5/3/00 -0600, you wrote:

>In <4.2.2.20000503105638.01774420@mail.ipat.com>, on 05/03/00  at  0807
>(MST), Alan Mead <adm@ipat.com> said:
>
>>Others may disagree, but I think that GUI's are memory-intensive,
>>CPU-burning hogs.  I can barely stand to run Gnome on the old 486 we have
>> here.
>
>I agree, but until I can get the command line commands written into one
>place or memorized, I need use the gui to get my work done.
>
>A smaller windows manager has been suggested and as soon as I find one
>I'll try that.
>
>>Is the system consistently slow? The other problem that occurs for many
>>is  that Netscape will wig try to consume all the system resources.
>>Having top  running in a terminal window will add a little overhead but
>>it will show  you when this occurs.  Just follow the on-screen directions
>>to kill the  process and restart netscape.
>
>Yes the system is always slow and I can hear the disk grinding everytime I
>try to do something. When Netscape is up, which is rare because it crashes
>regularly for me, it is a pig, but I haven't found another browser that
>will go to all the pages I need to access. <sigh> It wouldn't be so bad if
>people would quit thinking that everything has to be either frames or
>pictures, but that to is another long discussion.
>
>Anyway, what is top so I can try to use that?
>
>Thanks for your suggestions.
>
>Penny

For a window manager, try fvwm2 - you should have it on your system.
I like blackbox (http://blackbox.alug.org) better, but it doesn't come
with RedHat, so you have to look for a RPM for it, or compile it yourself.

A pentium 100 with 48M shouldn't crawl.  Changing windo managers may free
up enough ram so that you don't have to swap to disk.  That is what is
slowing your system down.  You can probably improve things by checking
what else you are running, and cut out the stuff you don't need.  One
big thing - don't run Netscape except when you are actualy surfing the
net.  It is a BIG memory hog!

To run TOP, open an xterm, and type top at the command line.

Mikkel