List:       redhat-list
Subject:    kwrite
From:       Thomas Ribbrock (Design/DEG) argathin () gmx ! net
Date:       1999-07-14 13:06:29

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 10:05:34PM -0500, Chad W. Skinner wrote:
[...]
> I know html editors have been passed around the list a great deal, but does
> anyone have any suggestions for a text editor that will color code scripting
> languages.  I am open to any suggestions console or X, but would prefer to
> find an X app that does this.
[...]

I use XEmacs (currently versions 20.4) and Vim (currently version 5.3)
for this and both do a pretty good job at syntax highlighting.
XEmacs as I'm using it now supports syntax highlighting for at least
(i.e. I have used them... there are probably more):
HTML, Perl, C, Csh[0], Verilog[1], Ksh, Sh, TeX

For most of them, autoindentation is also supported, most of them have
keyboard shortcuts for frequently used tags and/or command completion
(The HTML mode is very nice in this regard).

Vim has a similar range and IMO it's a bit easier to add your own modes.
I haven't pushed Vim that far yet, though.

My EUR0.02,

Thomas

[0] I kind of wrote that mode myself by butchering XEmacs' Ksh mode -
    ugly, but it works... ;-)
[1] not included in the XEmacs distribution, but easy to get from the
    home page
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919