List:       redhat-list
Subject:    kwrite
From:       Joe Brenner doom () kzsu ! Stanford ! EDU
Date:       1999-07-14 7:05:23

Brent Sims <brent@rmi.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Chad W. Skinner wrote:

> > I know html editors have been passed around the list a
> > great deal, but does anyone have any suggestions for a
> > text editor that will color code scripting languages.  I
> > am open to any suggestions console or X, but would
> > prefer to find an X app that does this.

> The last time I used it, X-Emacs, the Lucid Emacs rather than the Emacs
> that comes with Red Hat, did this quite nicely.

Actually, the regular Gnu emacs does this pretty well, it's
just not turned on by default.  You can turn on syntax
coloring with the command:

   M-x font-lock-mode

And if you want it on permanently, supposedly all you need
to do is put a line like this in your ~/.emacs file:

   (add-hook 'c-mode-hook'(lambda () (font-lock-mode 1)))

By the way, if you are interested in playing with xemacs,
you should know that it's not installed on RedHat systems by
default (though Gnu emacs is). There are three RPMs out
there that you might want, though I guess this is the place
to start:

http://developer.redhat.com/rhcn/browse/rpm2html/RPMS/i386/xemacs-21.1.2-1.i386.html