List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Xfree
From:       John Waalkes jwaalkes () edge ! net
Date:       1999-03-19 9:25:10

Joel West wrote:

> I tried the startx command and I get :
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> ..
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> ..
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> ..
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> ..
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

Okay, I would say that it isn't working :)

I run into this all the time after I do a fresh install. What I would
try is "xf86config". It is a text based config utility, and somewhat
cryptic, but it seems to do a good job of getting you a working X
server. Also, have you updated your XFree RPMS?

There are updates available, and if you have a newer video card, it
might fix things (it did for me). You will have to have the specs on the
monitor, you can usually get them from the manufacturer. The horizontal
and vertical frequencies are what's important. As for your video card,
it's the manufacturer that really matters. It will ask you if you want
to probe for memory (you should already know this) and what kind of
ramdac you have. I'd select the don't probe, and auto on the ramdac.

Once you have done this, fire up xf86config and follow the directions. I
wouldn't worry too much about making a mistake since your XF86Config
file is doo-doo anyways :) But, you might want to rename it
"XF86Config.original" so you can save it (for whatever reason).

Of course the standard disclaimer about blowing your monitor to pieces
has to be mentioned. If you supply xf86config with the correct monitor
info, all will be well. But, if it does meltdown on you, it probably
wasn't worth a damm anyways :P

Once you get things running, you will probably want to "tweak" them.
Take your working XF86Config file and copy it to a safe place! Any
modifications you make you need to backup the previously working
version. Using XF86Config.1, .2, .3 ... is a good way to do it.

Copy these to a diskette, *or somewhere that won't be destroyed when you
reinstall linux*

Some of these "tweaks" could include setting your prefered resolution to
come up first, rather than having to select it after X is running. You
may also want to adjust your virtual resolution to your maximum
resolution. Or as in my case, I couldn't see 1280xWhatever, so I deleted
it.

I don't know what Window Manager you plan to use, but for some reason if
*everything* isn't just right, KDE doesn't want to startup for me. All I
get is the speckled screen. To get around this, I use "startx 1&>2" Why,
I need to do this, I don't have a clue :)

Here's a site from some people who actually know what they are talking
about:

http://www.control-escape.com (as previously mentioned on the Redhat
list)

Good luck,