List:       redhat-list
Subject:    FC 14 updates: a cautionary tale
From:       m.roth () 5-cent ! us
Date:       2011-01-20 18:55:44

I just updated a user's workstation... and the screen died. Wouldn't
accept *any* keyboard input. After a reboot or two, I finally brought it
up in runlevel 3. Tried startx... and wound up rebooting, then rm'd
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. After the second reboot, found that they've added
another level of security: apparently, from what I saw on the screen this
time, startx won't run as root. And system-config-display isn't there any
more.

It finally worked when I su'd to myself, then got out, and init 5'd.

Oh, yes, autoconfigure works *so* well.. except when it completely fails,
and half your tools ain't there, 'cause you don't need them....

          mark