List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: Re: how can i open a port
From:       "Rene's Caltech Email" <shyfire () azrael ! caltech ! edu>
Date:       2003-09-30 23:42:42

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:17:06PM -0700, Rene's Caltech Email wrote:

> > > The imap services is invoked by xinetd, so it doesn't really "run".
> > > To confirm that xinetd will start imap, do:
> > > # netstat -apn | grep 0.0.0.0:143
> > > You should see a line with LISTEN on the end.
> > >
> > > If it's listening, but you can't get to it from another server, you may
> > > have it blocked by your firewall rules.  I don't do iptables, so if
> > > that's the problem, post back to the list and get somebody too tell you
> > > how to open up the port through your firewall.
>
> > okay i tried: netstat -apn | grep 0.0.0.0:143 on the server with the
> > problem and it didnt listen.  does anybody know how to do iptables/mess
> > with the firewall rules?
>
> If you don't see the LISTEN line, then you have not yet configured the
> service properly.  It doesn't matter if the firewall is on or off,
> xinetd needs to be able to listen first.
>
> Please confirm that xinetd is really enabling the imap service:
>
> # chkconfig --list | grep -i imap

its confirmed:
[root@azrael root]# chkconfig --list | grep -i imap
        imap:   on
        imaps:  on
[root@azrael root]#

and i restarted the xinet.d service several times

[root@azrael root]# service xinetd restart
Stopping xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
[root@azrael root]#

and i do this and still no response
netstat -apn | grep 0.0.0.0:143

any ideas

--
-Rene Enriquez
rene.enriquez@azrael.caltech.edu

"The devil will find work for idle hands to do!"
-The Smiths