List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: htaccess
From:       MKlinke <mklinke () axsi ! com>
Date:       2003-09-26 20:01:49

On Friday 26 September 2003 14:46, Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad wrote:
> I had htaccess working on my previous webserver, running on rh 7.3
>
> After installilng rh 9.0 I never got htaccess to work. (latest apache
> version from up2date)
>
> I have working htaccess files (at least for rh 7.3)
> I have added AllowOverride All to the httpd.conf file and restarted
>
> What more do I need to do to make it work?
>
> - asbjørn

When I post the following general notes most people respond with "It was
a permission problem".

Regards,  Mike Klinke

---------------------------

This works for me.

---- /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf -----

<Directory "/var/www/html">
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
</Directory>

 ---- end of httpd.conf ---

---- /etc/httpd/authorized_users -----
user1:password
user2:password

..... end of authorized_users ----

----- /var/www/html/protected_directory/.htaccess -------
AuthName "Presentation"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile authorized_users
require valid-user

---- end of .htaccess ---

Double check file/directory permissions to make sure they're readable.