List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: how does email work in redhat 9?
From:       "Anthony E. Greene" <agreene () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-09-24 10:04:06

On 23-Sep-2003/20:34 -0500, christopher j bottaro <cjb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>ok, since i've been trying to get procmail to work for the past few days,
>i've also gotten interested in how email works in general.  i noticed on
>my home system, i can email between all my users just by using mutt and
>emailing to "username@localhost.localdomain" or even just emailing to
>"username".  when i do that, i notice that stuff ends up in
>/var/spool/mail/username.  interesting.  so i thought, maybe i can email
>myself from outside my lan, i.e. send an email to
>"cjb@my_numerical_ip_address" from an external email account (like
>hotmail) and it would end up in /var/spool/email/cjb and i would be able
>to see it with mutt.  wrong!  why not though?  where can i read about how
>email work in linux?  specifically redhat 9?

The correct format for using an IP address in an email address is
username@[ipaddress]. The square brackets are required. This is a
deprecated feature of SMTP and may not be supported by the sending mail
software.

That said, the default in RH9 is for sendmail not to listen for external
connections. On top of that, your ISP may be blocking incoming connections
on port 25 that are not destined for it's SMTP servers.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:Anthony%20E.%20Greene%20%3Cagreene@pobox.com%3E>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D