List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: how to serve my own domain?
From:       Bret Hughes <bhughes () elevating ! com>
Date:       2003-09-24 4:38:42

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 23:13, Mark McDonald wrote:

> I've registered my domain.
> Now I'd like to serve it.
>
> I've read and setup the DNS HOWTO and everything works well (for my
> internal network). [DSL connection with almost static IP].  This HOWTO
> is essentially a cacheing nameserver.
>
> Now I'd like to have named point to my external IP address - that is
> pretty easy.
>
> The trick seems to be setting the nameserver on the domain (ie where I
> registered it).  The nameserver has to be a fully qualified name (ie IP
> address doesn't work), so how do I get it to point to my computer - it
> seems to be a chicken and egg situation...
>
> I think the answer is that I need someone to be a secondary dns server
> for me - am I right, and if so is there a freebe way of doing this?
>
> My end goal here is to set up a family email and web server - so I'm
> trying to keep costs to a minimum.
>
> Mark.

There are dns services available that are free or real cheap and I would
go that route if you are only working with one domain.  Check the
archives at marc.theaimsgroup.com for this list.  there was a fairly
involved discussion about this recently.  At least I think it was this
list, hang on a sec:... ok I'm back this is in the thread I was thinking
about:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=redhat-list&m=106270834420760&w=2

Now to answer your question, the way out of the chicken and the egg deal
is that you have to have your registrar register your dns server as a
nameserver this is where the initial name to ip resolution comes in.
once it is registered you can use your new nameserver's name.  I
recently did this using both godaddy.com and verio.  Godaddy had a place
on the domain manger form.  Verio I had to email techsupport.

FWIW I found dnsreports.com to be useful in verifying the correct
operation of the dns for the domains I was setting up.

HTH

Bret