List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: RedHat 9 rc.sysinit problem
From:       Sean Estabrooks <seanlkml () rogers ! com>
Date:       2003-09-19 20:07:26

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:57:08 -0700
Jim Dickenson <dickenson@cfmc.com> wrote:

> I did a clean install of RedHat 9 on a system. This system has only a
> SCSI
> drive. I was able to reboot the system with no problem. I then applied
> some
> updates and did some other stuff and when I tried to reboot the system
> the
> boot process stopped when trying to run fsck on the root, and only
> partition. The problem is that the partition is mounted read-write by
> the
> time rc.sysinit is called so fsck gets an error that causes rc.sysinit
> call sulogin.
>
> I did a goggle search and noticed one other person had a similar
> problem but
> no one responded to his request for an explanation.
>
> Here is the part of rc.sysinit that is causing the problem:
>
> if [ -z "$fastboot" -a "X$ROOTFSTYPE" != "Xnfs" ]; then
>
>         STRING=$"Checking root filesystem"
>         echo $STRING
>         initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /"
>         rc=$?
>

> Can someone tell me what might have caused this problem and/or what a
> solution to the problem, other than not running the fsck, might be to
> fix
> it?

HI Jim,

The root filesystem should be mounted read-only when rc.sysinit is first
called.   If it isn't, this suggests there is a problem with your
/boot/initrd-*.img file.    This image contains a script that is
responsible for mounting the root filesystem as read-only. Try
rebuilding it with the"mkinitrd" command.  Also, make sure that it is
properly referenced in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

Cheers,
Sean