List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: routing challenge
From:       Sean Estabrooks <seanlkml () rogers ! com>
Date:       2003-09-19 19:11:54

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:14:40 +0200
Asbjorn Hoiland Aarrestad <asbjorn@aarrestad.com> wrote:

> Got a challenging routing problem, and perhaps some of you can help
> me.
>
> The network is as follows.
> We have 12 "standalone" nodes with wireless lan cards. The nodes are
> placed on a line, and the average distance between each node is 400
> meters. With good wireless cards, that means that we can reach two or
> three node neighbours on each side of a node. (the nodes will be
> placed
> in the middle of nowhere, security is not the issue since the biggest
> security risk will be the ice and polar bears. This also means that
> putting up tp-wires is not an option)
>
> on each side of the line of nodes, there will be a server. There will
> only be people at the first server (beside the first node) The nodes
> will be collecting data, and we want to transfer the data to the
> server
> beside the first node. But we also want to be able to telnet into each
>
> of the nodes to be able to do maintainance (so we don't have to use a
> snow-mobile and get very cold each time there is a problem on one of
> the
> nodes)
>
> Any ideas on how to make a "good enough" network, enabeling us to
> communicate between the nods and the servers?

Hi Asbjorn,

Sounds like a fun project.

The first thought that springs to mind is that you treat each node as
a separate network.   Essentially a network of 1 with each node having
a fixed IP address on its own subnet. Then run a routing daemon on each
node that discovers its neighbours and shares that route information
with each of them.  This should give you some resiliency in the face of
a single node dropping out.

Obviously this is rather too complex to describe in detail here but you
should take a look at routing daemons such as Gated or Zebra.   Zebra is
easier to setup and should do everything you need.   Actually Zebra has
recently been forked as Quagga so the place to start reading might be:

http://www.quagga.net/

Good Luck,
Sean