List:       redhat-list
Subject:    redhat 9 install problem (graphics card related)
From:       christopher j bottaro <cjb () cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2003-09-05 4:27:42

hello,
i've installed redhat 9 on 2 systems already, but the 3rd system is giving me
problems.  first off, when it boots off the cd, and it gives the prompt that
says something like:
type linux or enter to run the graphical install.
type linux text to run the text installer.
blah blah, etc etc.

well, there is suppose to be a redhat logo that goes along with that prompt.
i got none.

but the real problem is when the graphical installer tries to start the
xserver, my monitor just goes blank and turns off.  the disc is still being
read, the harddrive light is going off, but the monitor is blank (and off).

i know its not the graphics card because i pulled it out and put it in another
computer and the redhat installer ran fine.

my friend suggested that it might be because of some bios settings on my
motherboard.  could this be possible?

btw, i have redhat 8 installed on the machine in question, and x starts up
fine.  its just the redhat 9 installer has problem starting up x.

thanks for the help,
-- christopher