List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: running 2 xservers at different resolutions
From:       steffen.grunewald () aei ! mpg ! de
Date:       2003-09-03 10:00:34

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:53:40AM -0500, christopher j bottaro wrote:
> doh ok, i can switch to the lower resolution on the fly, but when i do, the
> screen is bigger than the monitor and when i move the mouse near the edge of
> the screen, it starts to scroll.  whats up with that?  how do i make the
> lower resolution screen the same size as my monitor?

There's a good reason to do it as it's done: otherwise you might lose
access to some of your X clients since they disappear beyond the
limits of the physical screen. That's also what Virtual is for: to
define the size of your virtual workspace, the one the X server reports
as available to clients requesting a location, geometry etc.

So the answer is: You cannot shrink the virtual area - except by
re-starting the server.

Steffen

Oh, and pretty please: no full quotes at the end of the posting. Tnx.
--
Steffen Grunewald * * * Merlin cluster admin (http://pandora.aei.mpg.de)
         MPI für Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut)