List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: tool to see which app' is using what percentage of bandwidth
From:       NfoCipher <nfocipher () chickenware ! com>
Date:       2003-09-03 0:01:28

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 18:51, christopher j bottaro wrote:
> i have a similar problem.  the recv light on my cable modem is >constantly< on
> (even if all my computers are off).  all my computers are behind a linksys
> cable router/firewall.  i'd like to find out what ip address all this
> incoming traffic is coming from.  how can i do this?

That's just the nature of cable modems. All the cable modem customers in
your area are on one big network loop. So you get all the traffic they
get. Some cable companies actually use switches, but most don't. It's
sorta like having your network on a hub rather than a switch. Makes for
some funny packet sniffing if you get really bored.

--
NfoCipher <nfocipher@chickenware.com>
ChickenWare, LLC