List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: KDE Performance
From:       Stephen Kuhn <skuhn () telpacific ! com ! au>
Date:       2003-05-15 21:23:38

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:30, Tom Smith wrote:
> I'm running RedHat 9.0 with the included version of KDE on a P-II 300
> with 190 MB of RAM.
>
> I haven't been able to improve KDE's performance compared to other distros.
>
> For my system, simply turning it on and logging into KDE comsumes over
> 160 MB of RAM--and that's with the minimal number of services running
> (no Apache, MySQL, etc.).
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions for improving its performance?

On your particular machine setup, you might want to consider booting
into runlevel 3 instead of the graphical login at runlevel 5 - this in
itself is going to save you some memory - a fair big hunk. Secondly, you
might want to look at how your harddrive(s) are performing - make sure
you have "hdparm" installed and run "hdparm -t /dev/hdXX" to test, and
"hdparm -T /dev/hdXX" to test caching; hdparm can drastically increase
drive access and caching and can make a major difference to your
machines performance - once you've found the optimal settings, you can
directly modify the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks file to reflect the
settings you wish to have permament.

Another issue is how MANY drives you have - load balancing helps out
inasmuch as having the / on one drive, the /tmp on another - the SWAP on
a different physical drive than the / makes a difference, but if you can
spread out the partitions, that helps. I have my SWAP on a one SCSI, my
/tmp on a dedicated SCSI, my /var on a separate physical drive - that
helps to speed things up a tad...

Disabling services that you don't want or need - running "serviceconf"
and getting rid of those that you don't think you need will help
increase system resources and make it snappier.

If you're game enough to recompile the kernel, well, that's another
option - that gives you a kernel that's streamlined for YOUR system -
and also allows you to get rid of unnecessary items that get compiled
into the "stock" kernel...

...more RAM helps, too...

If KDE doesn't snap up, you can always consider using a different window
manager / desktop - WindowMaker is quite fast, XFCE is blazing - there's
Fluxbox and Blackbox - there's Enlightenment (can be a bit of a resource
hog)...you do have options mate.

--
Fri May 16 07:15:00 EST 2003
 07:15:00 up 3 days, 12:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.13