List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: KDE Performance
From:       Tom Smith <tom () openadventures ! org>
Date:       2003-05-15 18:58:03

Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:

>> I don't even think KDE takes up that much RAM on my comp, but I could
>> be wrong (how would I find out?).

Once KDE is loaded, start a terminal session and run "top -sd1 -i"--this
will show running processes, RAM usage, etc. The forth line down will
show "mem" statistics.

One other thing that FreeBSD's KDE distro has is a "Desktop Wizard".
This allows you to configure KDE features to your system--that is, if
you system is _sloooowwww_ you can tell KDE not to use certain features
and thus improve it's performance on slow machines. I have yet to find
this feature in RH's KDE.

If Redhat removed it from the menu there should be a way to start it
from the command line--I just haven't found it yet.