List:       redhat-list
Subject:    RE: GDM to manage multiple sessions simultaneously?
From:       "Furnish, Trever G" <TGFurnish () herff-jones ! com>
Date:       2003-04-29 21:29:12

Actually I finally got off my lazy ass and looked at the gdm.conf file and
towards the end of it there's a commented out entry for an additional
server.  Turns out if you uncomment that entry and add a few more just like
it (incrementing the server number), then gdm will start multiple X servers,
each on its own virtual console.  You can then log in via gdm on all of the
X servers as different users simultaneously (although it's gonna be tough to
get keyboard time). :-)

So I guess the answer is that you just decide how many simultaneous X
sessions you want to allow on the local physical console, then define that
many X servers in gdm.conf, then kill -USR1 the parent gdm (the one started
by init), then log out.  When you log out, gdm will restart the X server
(unless you told it not to do that by changing another option in gdm.conf),
and when it comes back up gdm will also have started additional X servers on
other virtual consoles.

I wish it didn't need to keep the unused X servers running on the other
consoles all the time though...

-t.