List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: linux
From:       Louis Sabet <louis () mobiles ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-17 11:12:38

--On Wednesday, April 16, 2003 19:36:40 -0500 acornl cornelison
<acornl@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi I just joined and wanted to know if my mac will run linux and if so
> where can I go to get support or help to do so.I have linux mandrake I
> bought at the store and think it is very cool.I cant say I have it all
> figured out because that isnt true at all but learning it and installing
> it is really fun to me.
>
> From Alan

Best place to start looking is http://penguinppc.org. The biggest PowerPC
specific distro from what I remember is YellowDog, which is at version 3
now I think.

I noticed someone suggest you use MacOSX, but this isn't really linux, it's
just a BSD-derived OS, and while extremely good won't offer you the
flexibility I assume you're after from your linux distro.

There are a good host of OSX packages available which have been ported from
various unixes, but they are reasonably limited, and I've always found
OSX's X11 implementations to be relatively slow compared to fully fledged
linux. In addition because OSX has been around for relatively little time,
the ported applications can be pretty buggy at times - I'm still struggling
to get a reliable copy of mozilla going. "The Gimp" however runs
beautifully under the FINK (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) packaging system,
so your mileage may vary depending on what it is you want to achieve.

Certainly if you're embarking on a learning expedition I'd go for a full
linux distro rather than OSX.

Enjoy!

Louis Sabet - IT Manager
http://www.mobiles.co.uk