List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: Floppy error
From:       "Edward Dekkers" <edward () tripled ! iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2003-03-29 10:20:59

> I'm seeing a whole bunch of error messages like this in my
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Jan 20 22:18:32 ripley kernel: floppy0: disk absent or changed during
> operation Jan 20 22:18:32 ripley kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev
> 02:00 (floppy), sector 6
>
> What does this mean?

It usually means the floppy drive was not unmounted before you pulled out
the disk. This is a no-no in Linux.

>  Could this be related to why I can't start Samba?

No.

> Samba was running fine until I had to reboot the machine today (Red Hat
> 7.2).  Now I can't restart Samba.  Thanks,

Did you update samba at any stage? The new samba that was released
right-royally screwed up my system too.

Had to change a whole bunch of stuff in the /etc/samba/smb.conf to get it
going again.

In fact, I was a bit dissappointed in that. I thought it was a security
patch, but something more severe was obviously changed.

Regards,

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services P/L