List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: Nvidia card acceleration problem.
From:       Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2003-03-28 22:38:44

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 20:19, Ben Logan wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I just bought an Nvidia Verto TNT2-M64 with 32Mb  based on the fact
> that the xfree86 nv driver supports the TNT2-M64 with full graphics
> acceleration.  I did note that the driver man page says that it
> supports the "RIVA TNT2" whereas my video card package says "Verto
> TNT2"  However, the output of lspci IDs the card as
>
> 00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation RIVA TNT2 Model
> 64 (rev 15)
>
> And xfree also probes the card as a RIVA TNT2.  My problem is that I
> don't seem to be getting hardware acceleration.  Games like chromium
> and tuxracer are still unplayable, and it seems to make no speed
> difference whether I specify 'Option "NoAccel"' vs. 'Option "Accel"'.
>
> Anyone have any solutions?  I would *really* like to avoid having to
> upgrade/change my kernel version and use the Nvidia drivers.

Provided your kernel + kernel source installations are kosher,
installing the NVidia drivers is relatively painless (although be sure
to read the docs about configuring X!).  I always get the src rpms from
nvidia and rebuild them to match my running kernel.

Anyway, the XFree86 drivers can't touch the nvidia ones (although this
is arguably nvidia's fault).  Performance is night and day between the
two.  Or maybe two nights and a late breakfast.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)