List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: !!!! My tape drive is not working, it has cost me several days
From:       "Carl D. Blake" <carl () boeckeler ! com>
Date:       2002-05-30 20:35:38

I'm not sure what is happening here.  /tmp is not a great directory to
try to back up since the system is changing it all the time.  If you're
just running some tests, I would try backing up /etc rather than /tmp.

When it hangs when you try to extract from the tape does the entire
system hang?  Are you able to Ctrl-C the command and get back to a
prompt?  I was a little confused as to whether you were extracting into
/tmp or into a different directory.  Try extracting into a different
directory other than /tmp if you didn't do that before.

Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering
Boeckeler Instruments, Inc.
4650 S. Butterfield Dr.