List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: time serving
From:       "Carl D. Blake" <carl () boeckeler ! com>
Date:       2002-04-09 16:42:26

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 09:09, Michael George wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a small network and I'd like to coordinate the time on that network.
> I've already been using rdate to weekly sync my server's time with that of a
> public time server.
>
> What I'd like to do is to have the other systems on the network sync their
> time with my server.
>
> I've seen the package ntp, which contains ntpd, but that is a daemon for
> continuously keeping the time in sync with a server.  What I'm looking for is
> the server on my linux box that will serve the time to hosts in our network.

If I understand what you want correctly ntp will do what you want.  We
have a small network in which one machine is using ntp to sync itself up
with a time server on the internet.  All the other machines are running
ntp to sync themselves up with the one machine that is syncing up with
the time server on the internet.  Basicly one machine is serving the
time to all the other machines on our network, which I believe is what
you want to do.

> I've checked my CD's for n* t* *ntp*, but all that's turned up is ntp*.  I'm
> sure this facility is out there, I just need to know what package has it...
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Michael
>
> --
> In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
> 	They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> 	safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
> 			-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering
Boeckeler Instruments, Inc.