List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: can't boot upgrade from 6.0 to 7.2
From:       "Carl D. Blake" <carl () boeckeler ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 20:54:51

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 18:59, Charles Galpin wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 18:42, doug piper wrote:
> > At this time, I have created several boot disks. The first disk was created during the
> > install, or rather, ugrade, from the RH CD. After that, I used linux rescue from the RH CD
> > and did mkbootdisk and created disks identical to the first disk. All of them hung as I
> > described in my original email. In each case, the disk created was in vfat.
> > All of the disks which I used to boot 6.0 (and continue to use on another machine) were
> > formatted to ext2.
>
> I can't speak for the vfat  - I've always thought the boot disks were
> ext2.
>
> > Remember, I have 2 separate hds and am trying to boot to hdb. Following the instruction and
> > notes in the 7.2 CD, I installed Grub on hdb rather than hda.

Hmmm.  I would have thought you would want to install grub on hda not
hdb.  Certainly you want grub to boot linux from hdb, but grub needs to
be installed on hda because hda is the drive that will be booted first.
You could see if you can change the bios to boot from the second hard
drive rather than from the first to see if your system comes up.
Otherwise, boot into repair mode with the RH 7.2 CDs and run
grub-install and tell it to install on hda.  I believe that the command
would be:
	grub-install /dev/hda
I'm not absolutely sure about this - I use lilo.
> Again, sorry I wasn't following this very closely. Ok, based on the
> above, before slashing and burning, you still have the opportunity to
> coax grub/lilo to do the right thing - boot off of hdb. There are much
> more qualified people than me on this list, but in a nutshell you can do
> things like tell it to use hdb, or if that fails logically switch the
> hda and hdb drives.
>
> It will require some reading in any event. You may just want to take the
> easy route and do a fresh install.
>
> charles

Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering