List:       redhat-list
Subject:    Re: (no subject)
From:       Keith Morse <kgmorse () mpcu ! com>
Date:       2001-11-28 21:37:37

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Tinu Patel wrote:

> Hello all....
>
> I have a RH 7.1 DNS server.  The server is working fine and resolving
> names without any problems from external requests.  I am also using IP
> chains to shut all ports except 22 and 53.  My problem is that when I
> try to do a nslookup from that box, it gives me the following error:

What does your resolv.conf say?  Is it pointing to itself?  If so, does
your ipchains implementation allow itself to use the loopback
interface?  Another thing to be aware of is that DNS lookups are not:

	domain ->  any

but rather

	"ports greater 1024" -> domain

When I did ipchains, the best reference I found was Robert Ziegler's web
site and book.  Respectively www.linux-firewall-tools.com (follow the link
to  the script generator) and "Linux Firewalls" New Riders publishing.