List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Kernel Panic, after a build
From:       John Summerfield summer () OS2 ! ami ! com ! au
Date:       2000-09-21 18:03:03

--------
> I built a new version of the kernel under RH6.2, currently running
> 2.2.14-5.0smp. The new version is 2.2.17. Compilation and building of the
> required modules succeeded. lilo.conf has also been updated to reflect the ne
> kernel name. System.map, initrd.x.img, vmlinuz and vmlinux have all been plac
> ed
> in /boot. The one file that has not been able to recreate is /boot/module-inf
> o,
> since I cannot seem to find instructions on this and there are no procedures
> in
> the Makefile.
>
> Following the recommended steps in the README file, plus several other books
> on
> the matter, this kernel halts cold during reboot. "initrd.x.img" is loaded an
> the hardware is scanned normally up to the point where it's ready to mount
> the root partition.
>
> The error message says:
>
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions on the matter. Thank you.

I had that very problem yesterday.

Actually, I had another message too; it couldn't mount the root filesystem on 3:45.

Looking at another system, I could not see what device 3:45 might be, and overriding \
things my adding "init=/bin/bash" and/or "root=/dev/hda8" (which is correct)

I ried the recovery mode included with the RHL 6.2 CD and found it absolutely \
useless. It did not come up with any devices for my disk drives, either in recovery \
mode or upgrade mode.

Nor did adding "root=" help - it was competely ignored.

Eventually, I resoed to a floppy I'd made for booting another machine (read elsewhere \
about my disk replacement saga) and specified "root=/dev/hda8.' This got me up (but \
it couldn't find modules coz it was a different kernel version) but it was enough for \
me to rerun lilo.

That's all I had to do - run lilo. The configuration was fine.

The only explanation I have is pretty weak; I ran lilo earlier in the day to update \
that self-same disk. I ran it once, and it DID update the disk, as evidenced by the \
fact the disk did work.