List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Re: Which E-Mailer?
From:       Tony Nugent <Tony.Nugent () usq ! edu ! au>
Date:       1998-11-23 11:03:57

On Mon Nov 23 1998 at 00:43, Ramon Gandia wrote:

> I want to be able to get my mail at EITHER location, but I
> want just one set of files, folders, mailboxes, whatever at
> only ONE location (home).  This is because I do not want to
> have one set of mail messages in one location, and another
> set in the other box.  It is a pain, specially when running
> a business, to have mail get udesychronicitated like that.
> (word invented here).

Might be worth NFS mounting your mail folder directory to keep than on one
box and use them on another.

Otherwise use something like rsync to keep them "mirrored" and uptotdate.

> Now, the programs must run in X windows.

exmh (recommended because I know it).  Or mutt (never used it).

> If you think that using NFS is the answer, read on.

Oops...  :)

> The programs must either NOT lock the files, or LOCK them
> ONLY when actually writing and unlock immediately after.

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

> Otherwise, what will happen is that I leave the office and
> accidentally leave the mail program running there (the
> computers are NEVER shut down).  Then I get home and find I
> am locked out of my mail.

Nope, no problem.

> If NFS is used, I can block the NFS port on the router to the
> outside world to block crackers.

Easy,  Trivial.  NFS is an rcp protocol, and needs the portmapper running
for it to work.  The contemporary versions of the portmap "daemon" are
commpiled with tcp_wrapper support, so you can control access that way with
/etc/hosts.{allow,deny}

Cheers
Tony