List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Re: chrooted accounts
From:       Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham () ThePLAnet ! net>
Date:       1997-09-11 10:07:41

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
} As far as I was aware its mostly a wu.ftpd thing - and wu.ftpd does
} seem to honour it. All we need now is RedHat to release the fixed
} wu.ftpd without the ../*/../*/../*/../*/../*/../* bug

Actually I found that troll-ftpd (which I generally prefer over wu-ftpd)
has the same problem.

} [Needs to abort at say 500 files in the list]

Well that can cause some problems - how about mirroring - first thing that
the mirror script does is
	NLST -lRat

and that gives you a whole heap of data back, but legitimately.

I wondered about a couple of fixes.  The easier one, is to rewrite the
parameters so that /../<something>/ is converted to / - this may break a
couple of things, but probably not if you only rewrite after the first
component that is not . or .. (so that ../../dir is allowed).

The fun one is to keep track of <dev><inode> for each directory you list,
and not list or recurse into any directory where you have seen the <dev>
<inode> of the directory before.  This has the disadvantage that it hits
legitimate use with a performance hit (you could just enable this code if
you see a * in the original pattern).

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]