List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Strange IDE drive
From:       Nicolai P Guba <nicolai () bigbro ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1997-09-04 23:31:13

Ok, I got two boxes for my work.  A Sun Ultra and a PC.  After running Linux
for 4 years I never had a problem installing it.  However, this time I admit
that I am caught out.  My IDE drive hangs off a hellish interface card, which
is a SCSII device according to MSW 95 (????).

Anybody can identify this thing?  Any pointers to RTFM's or FAQ's regarding
this obscurity?

Ah, yes.  I forgot.  To add insult to the injury it's a *^$%&¬ plug-n-play
device too :(

Obviously, as a result the kernel claims that I have no hard disk.  *ouch*.
Needless to say that there is no question in me getting a different IDE card
in, since the box belongs to the Labs and not myself.  It's a nice spec though
and I'd like to Linux this PC.  I could always try the screwdriver method and
see whether the Motherboard has a IDE port or the like.  But I prefer not
having to resort to this...

Help and pointers appreciated.

Happy Hacking