List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Re: Locate database(s)...
From:       "Michael K. Johnson" <johnsonm () redhat ! com>
Date:       1997-05-23 17:21:24

Kirk Bauer writes:
>Anybody else like this idea?  Or does anybody else know a good way
>to specify the location of a locate database?

I doubt it will get added to stock Red Hat Linux, but there's nothing
to keep you from modifying /etc/cron.daily/updatedb.cron and adding
a few lines like this above the line with su in it:

( umask=002
  /usr/bin/updatedb --localpaths='/' --prunepaths='/tmp /var/tmp /usr/tmp /afs' --netpaths='' 2>/dev/null
  mv /var/lib/locatedb /var/lib/locatedb.root
)

Warning!  I haven't tested that.  Test for permissions issues before
you implement that...

Then "man locate" to discover that you want to use
locate --database=/var/lib/locatedb.root <pattern>

When you get tired of typing it, use an alias, shell function, or shell
script...  :-)

michaelkjohnson