List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    RPM 2.4 now available
From:       Erik Troan <ewt () redhat ! com>
Date:       1997-05-16 12:43:05

I just made the official release of RPM 2.4 and I rearranged the RPM ftp
sites at the same time. First of all, here are the new layouts:

	1) The latest version of rpm will always be available from two
	   sites:

		ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/latest
		ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/code/rpm

	2) The complete RPM code archive and documentation is available
	   from ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm

	3) If you would like to contribute binaries of RPM for other
	   architectures, submit them to ftp.rpm.org/pub/Incoming and
	   mail me.

The following changes are in 2.4:

2.3.11 -> 2.4:
	- changed RPMNLSDIR directories to and @datadir@ to better
	  conform with autoconf
	- set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX environment variable when running
	  verify scripts
	- beginnings of SCO support (though I suspect it will take one
	  or two more iterations to get it right)
	- switched to CVS and updated some Makefile rules
	- look for gethostbyname() instead of gethostname() in -nsl
	  (this could break some things)
	- added check for strcasecmp() in -lucb on systems which don't
	  have strcasecmp() in libc
	- don't build -static on hpux10
	- don't try and NLS empty strings
	- changed index() call to strchr() in macro code
	- include <time.h> in build/spec.c for various platforms
	- added update-po rule to po/Makefile.in
	- updated de.po (thanks to Karl Eichwalder)
	- rpmFindByFile() removes trailing and duplicate /'s
	- made many string in rpm program (though not yet in the various
	  libraries) translatable
	- eight character user names could break -qlv
	- requirements which begin with a leading / require files (in
	  the database!) instead of packages
	- clean up conflictsindex during --rebuilddb
	- get path to gzip from /usr/lib/rpmrc rather then just hoping it's
	  in the path
	- use dbpath for error messages with include database path in
	  their text
	- don't set owner/group if binaries installed by "make install"
	- include <strings.h> on SCO
	- don't use cpio when installing packages <gulp>
	- fixed bug which affected dependencies on the Alpha
	- made '=' work for long arguments (the switch to popt broke this)
	- handle solaris systems better
	- complain if critical rpmrc variables (cpiobin, gzipbin, etc) aren't
	  set anywhere
	- allow --dbpath for --rebuilddb
	- added check for systems whose chown() follows symlinks. If configure
	  is run as root, this should get it right, otherwise it assumes
	  chown() does not follow symlinks. You can use --enable-broken-chown
	  to force configure to think chown does indeed follow symlinks.
	- if chown() follows symlinks, we don't chown() symlinks during cpio
	  unpacking and we don't verify the owner or group of symlinks
	- added packager and url to default -qi output
	- look for <sys/select.h> and use it if it's there (for AIX)

There are almost certainly some bugs left, but I've been using something
close to this version (i.e. with the self contained cpio extraction) for
over a week now with no problems, so it all seems solid under Linux.

Please give this a try and report back with any problems you find. Enjoy!

Erik