List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Re: JDK Solution [suggestion]
From:       alan () lxorguk ! ukuu ! org ! uk (Alan Cox)
Date:       1997-05-09 23:58:38

> For example, Caldera uses the Sun "/opt" for its Caldera Office, but it isn't
> standard.

/opt is left open in the standard for this. Applix also uses /opt. There are
reasons /opt is bad and that it is good.

FSSTND/FHS go to great lengths to seperate data by type. That is you can
put /usr on read only, and share it NFS between same architecture boxes,
you can put /usr/share read only shared with anyone.

We've got one oddity which is X11 - forced really by poor conventions. That
forces you not to share fonts with other architectures (which mostly you
could otherwise do).

The JDK is awkward because everything in the Java universe has a divine and
deeply stupid belief that the world looks like

[SOMEJAVAPATH]/lib
              /include
              /bin

and like NFS we are stuck with the ensuing mess. For that reason alone I
think Java has to be either /usr/lib/java or /opt/java, with symlinks for
the binaries into /usr/bin.  The fact it doesnt work right if split up
says something for the current portability status of Java. However since it
isnt likely to get fixed short term we are going to have to lump it

Alan