List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    tcp and netperf confusion
From:       "Ishtiaq" <ishtiaq () sosa ! sys ! i ! kyoto-u ! ac ! jp>
Date:       2002-06-04 7:15:33

Hi there,
I am not sure that the list is specifically subjected to my problem, please
forgive me.
I had problem. I am using RedHat-7.2 with kernel 2.4.9-13 and ATM
distribution 2.4.0.
The netperf benchmark tool, to measure the network performance, it is being
observed that Linux does not quite synchronized with netperf. The behaviour
of netperf with Linux is described below.
command like netperf -H 10.10.10.3 -t TCP_STREAM -P 0 -- -s 64K -S 64K -m
64K
When we specify the send socket size=64K and Recv. socket=64K as the command
line option, the out put format shows the exact size of the socket sizes
over FreeBSD-4.5 operating system.
But the same command line option used and the output shows the socket size
is doubled i.e. 128K and 128K for sender and receiver. I would like to ask
why it is so?  I have consulted the netperf list and it is said that it is
O.S bug not the netperf.
Furthermore, even though what will be the socket size being utilized by the
tcp software?
If we dump the packets by tcpdump s/w the sender socket size (window size)
is 16K and receiver size is 40K while we want that tcp should use 64K for
both sender and receiver. How can we achieve this?
Thanks in advance.
Ishtiaq