List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Re: VMWare playing politics with Redhat users?
From:       John Summerfield <summer () numbat ! Os2 ! Ami ! Com ! Au>
Date:       2001-12-31 15:53:43

> (I'm CC'ing this email to Preston Brown - but just in case..)
>
> Hi,
>
> For people who buy and use VMWare latest product - VMWare workstation 3.0 -
> there is awaiting a special surprise if they happend to use Redhat 7.X..
>
> When the user runs the "vmware-config" script - the following message comes:
>
> "As of October 2001, Gcc 2.96 is not yet a supported compiler by the Linux
> kernel development team. Have a look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
> to get the correct compiler installed. This script will take into
> consideration the CC environment variable. Do you want to go with gcc version

I don't know when the change came in (some time ago I thought, but I
can't be bothered going through the patches to resolve what, for me, is
no more than a debating point), but this is in 2.4.17:

The Red Hat gcc 2.96 compiler subtree can also be used to build this
tree.
You should ensure you use gcc-2.96-74 or later. gcc-2.96-54 will not
build
the kernel correctly.

Ask them for an update that takes this into account.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.