List:       redhat-devel
Subject:    Re:Re: mount ext3 failed on upgraded 7.2
From:       Wendell Nichols <wendell.nichols () amdahlswl ! com>
Date:       2001-12-05 15:50:22

I have exactly the same problem.  I upgraded my smp machine from 7.1 to
7.2.  The upgrade went without errors but the subsequent boot failed wit
the same message that this thread got started with.
My linux root partition is on a scsi drive, which I elected to convert
to ext3 during the upgrade.  It appears that it is unable to mount this
partition either because it is on a scsi drive and it hasn't got the
scsi drivers loaded, or there is something wrong with the ext3 support.
I have started the system in rescue mode and have been able to mount all
my partitions.  The rescue kernlel is 2.4.7-10BOOT from the dist cd.
I uncompressed and mounted the initrd images in the /boot dir of my root
partition, and the one from the cd.  The linuxrc script is a compiled
program on the cd, but it's the usual shell script in the initrd.img
file that I created with mkinitrd, as well as the one installed via the
upgrade.
I'm going to try my old kernel...  If that works I'll let you know..
wcn