List:       redhat-announce
Subject:    Fwd: OpenVerse 0.8-1 RELEASED
From:       Cruise <cruise () openverse ! org>
Date:       2000-02-28 0:27:57

Hello,

I just uploaded the following to contrib.redhat.com

OpenVerse-0.8-1.noarch.rpm
OpenVerse-0.8-1.src.rpm

These packages and others are available on the website http://openverse.org/

Below you find the program's description and a list of changes since the last
release.

Name        : OpenVerse                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.8                               Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Sun Feb 27 14:49:26 2000
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: ip146.albany2.ga.pub-ip.psi.net
Group       : Applications/Communications   Source RPM: OpenVerse-0.8-1.src.rpm
Size        : 632040                           License: GPL
Summary     : Visual Chat program which runs on multiple platforms.
Description :
The OpenVerse is similiar to other Visual Chat programs such as
The Pallace or Microsoft Chat with the main exception that it is a
completely OPEN and FREE piece of software. The OpenVerse runs on many
platforms including Linux/UNIX, Macintosh and Micro$oft Windows.
The Home page for OpenVerse is http://openverse.org

here is a (long) list of changes since the last release.

Sun Feb 27 12:26:56 EST 2000		Beta 8.0 PRE - RELEASE

	* CRUISE - The ORT is complete. well mostly anyway :) The ORT is
	  at least ready for initial testing. I'll have a pre-release
	  package redy for you folks to test this afternoon.

Sat Feb 26 23:45:36 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Grouped the variables within Globals.tcl into sections
	  which better show what users should change and what they should
	  not change.

	* CRUISE - Added a trap for the ProcChat function. This will allow
	  plugin authors to capture text in time with it's diplay on the
	  screen rather than using the ProcessInput trap to capture ALL
	  incoming messages (and processing CHAT, SCHAT, PRIVMSG, ETC
	  messages out of sequence with their display). There are two
	  traps. A pre trap which is triggered before anything on the
	  screen is shown and a post trap which is triggered after the
	  stuff is displayed on the screen. The pre trap should be used
	  with caustion because qued chat messages will trigger this trap
	  once for when it was qued and again for when it's actually going
	  to be displayed.

	* TIMBO - initial release of the KDE panel. This is a really nice
	  panel and adds a look to OpenVerse which your boss could even
	  appreciate. There is lots of stuff that this panel can do. There
	  may be bugs, please report them to Timbo - timbo@openverse.org.

	* CRUISE - changed the balloon help to ignore windows which are
	  gone away.

Sat Feb 26 17:31:20 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in Progress

	* CRUISE - Included Jack's emotion changes with some
	  modifications. Including, a hideable button inspired by (and
	  using images from) Timbo, made the buttons visibly checked and
	  uncheckable, removed the bframe global variable, balloon help
	  will only load if tooltips is turned ON.

Fri Feb 25 11:23:43 PST 2000            Beta 0.8 in Progress

        * JACK - Added Bubbles to the buttons in the text chat, and
          changed the quit buttons' commands to ->> ProcessCommand "/quit".
          Now there is a confirmation on quit.

Thu Feb 24 18:45:02 PST 2000            Beta 0.8 in progress

        * JACK - Added new buttons (emotions, effects, and quits)
          the text chat window. Updated help.

Thu Feb 24 22:47:17 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Many changes to the ORT. I fixed some minor problems
	  with it's connecting stuff which was eating up file descriptors,
	  I added a users count to the display and some additional logging
	  information.

	* CRUISE - fixed a problem with the ORT which prevented it from
	  logging into a remote server. This change is forcing me to
	  define ORTs by IP address instead of hostname.

	* CRUISE - made a change to the server to send incoming ORT logins
	  the number of users which are connected to the server.

Thu Feb 24 20:28:32 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Added a new emotion, wink. updated help files and such.

Thu Feb 24 19:28:32 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Fixed a problem where preceding whitespace messed up
	  URLs from other useers. (reported by sketch)

Mon Feb 21 23:12:51 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Worked on the display from within the ORT. It's now
	  rotating through rooms displaying the image for it and the room
	  name. Tomoro I will add a more info button and a display showing
	  the number of users in the current stop.

Sun Feb 20 15:31:03 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Did a bunch more work on the ORT. It's about 90%
	  complete now. I just need to display the collected information
	  to the users both at the ORT end and at the server (stop) end.
	  Look for a new release next weekend for sure.

	* CRUISE - Added https to the URL types which are known to
	  OpenVerse.

	* CRUISE - made the length of messages configurable in the server.
	  The default length is still 256.

Sat Feb 19 14:54:50 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Trapped a bug which has been annoying folks. It will
	  now log an error when it happens. If you happen to get the
	  error, please let me know.

Sat Feb 19 11:47:09 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Added a visual notification that your name was changed
	  when using the /nick command. It will put a SYSTEM message in
	  the text chat window.

Fri Feb 18 21:58:54 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUIISE - Hehe, Just found out that fixing of the bug which
	  caused the exits to stop working also fixed the bug where urls
	  could not be selected.

Mon Feb 14 15:17:21 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Fixed a bug where images were being created but not
	  removed causing a pretty severe memory leak when you would say
	  show 100 images on the screen over time.. you end up storing
	  them all up in memory. this bug relates to OBJECT images only.

	* CRUISE - Created a new object type. WTEXT Wrapping text. The
	  parameters for this object are

		NAME x1 y1 color size duration width |text

Mon Feb 14 12:49:39 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Added some code to nicely complain when AvEd is unable
	  to load an image. Suggested by Lindsay Marshall.

Sat Feb 12 08:32:25 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* KAOSBEETL - Fixed a typo that prevented duplicate history or
	  passageways entries from being deleted.

Sat Feb 12 16:47:27 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - More work on the ort. It is now sending images to the
	  ORT from the server. This was a bit of a task. Tomoro I will get
	  it working the other way around (sending of the ort's avatar to
	  the server and logging into each stop). ORT is almost ready for
	  testing.

Wed Feb 9 20:13:32 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* KAOSBEETL - Noticed that I forgot to limit the number of entries
	  to put in the History list.  Fixed that.  Also changed the last
	  visit text from "long time" to "unknown" when a history/passageway
	  entry without a last visit time is processed.

	* KAOSBEETL - Added Plugin support for Pre and Post actions when
	  you are pushed.  Plugin names are Pushed.Pre and Pushed.Post

Wed Feb  9 09:11:42 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Fixed a bug reported by Lindsay Marshall, when you run
	  OpenVerse from the command line, then close the shell you ran it
	  from and then start a server, a puts to stdout was causing an
	  I/O error, re-routed through the LogIt command as had should
	  have been done in the first place.

Mon Feb 07 21:41:00 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* KAOSBEETL - Redisigned the Room History logic.  The history
	  list is read from disk every time, so that multiple instances
	  of OV don't keep overwriting the history.  Each entry in History
	  and Passageways now has a "last use" time associated with it.
	  This time is updated whenever you enter that room.  The History
	  list is sorted based on this time; sorting is an option for
	  Passageways.  Room names are updated when they change.

	* KAOSBEETL - Changed Query plugin so that clicking on your own
	  nametag will cancel all queries.  Suggested by Sketch.

Sun Feb  6 00:30:37 EST 2000

	* Cruise - More work on the ORT Stuff, turns out this was a bit
	  more code than I was expecting to have to write :) I'm down to
	  it's final stages. I need to create a new object type (text box
	  [wrapping text]) and I need to do some testing of how servers
	  will send images back and forth to eachother. Other than that,
	  the ort is almost functional.

Sat Feb  5 16:40:13 EST 2000

	* CRUISE - Added two new emotion things. Smile and Frown. They
	  place a small image in the balloon when you use them. /smile and
	  /frown to use. Updated docs for these changes.

	* CRUISE - Found and fixed the bug which was causing mouseovers to
	  become screwed up. This was caused by placing windows on the
	  screen. I was neglecting to delete the window from the canvas
	  after destroying it's components. This one was pretty hard to
	  find :)

	* CRUISE - Took out the setting of myipaddress in server code.
	  this was messing up the invite code.

	* CRUISE - Some more work on the ort. You'll notice many things
	  you will need to set in the server.cfg now. Please READ all the
	  notes I've put in there and you'll have no problem being an ORT
	  stop! :)

	* CRUISE - First ORT Object is running. It's only a test ort tho
	  and does not really "stop" any where yet.

Sun Jan 30 23:44:37 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Loads of work on the ort! I pretty much have the server
	  portion of the ort done. To make it easier on everyone, servers
	  must register with the ORT every 5 minutes or less or they will
	  be removed from the "stops list" I'm working on some images for
	  a test room over the next couple of days. Don't be surprised if
	  you see a subway cruise through luke's living room :) Still
	  need to do lots more work, getting images passed back and forth
	  and stuff but it's mostly there from a sserver sence.

Thu Jan 27 22:11:04 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Began to add support for the ORT (OpenVerse Rapid
	  Transit). The server.cfg has grown quite a bit now. I've added
	  some more information in places in the hopes that it will be
	  easier for new admins to understand the settings.

	* CRUISE - Lots of idea work on the ORT but I didnt write much
	  code. The main thing will just be getting server support for a
	  nonuser user which should not be too hard. Some server code is
	  changed and ready for the ideas I have but I want to think a
	  little bit more about it. the ORT itself will be a server object
	  and anyone who wants to can be an ORT by installing the object.
	  Due to potential network outages, the ORT object will spawn
	  polling processes for stops on it's route. This probably means
	  that the ORT will be a *nix only thing. More thinking needed.

Thu Jan 27 18:50:23 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* KAOS - Added support to run openverse from any directory by
	  setting the OVRUNDIR environment variable. If this variable
	  exists, it will use the dir specified in the variable as it's
	  base. If not, it will use /usr/lib/OpenVerse/

Wed Jan 26 23:01:56 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - Drank lots of rum and chatted on OV till nearly
	  bedtime.

	* CRUISE - Got feeling guilty cause I had not coded anything so I
	  added sketch's /clear request with a /cls companion which will
	  erase anything in the textchat window.

Sun Jan 16 18:16:02 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* CRUISE - since CVS write access is going to be given to a couple
	  of folks I am going to begin to append my changes with CRUISE. I
	  suggest others who make modifications to follow suit.

	* CRUISE - Fixed a bug in the Query plugin.. typo. reported by
	  Beavis <beavis@druneknbastards.org>

	* CRUISE - Began language support

Sun Jan 16 03:33:55 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* Added Kaos's History stuff, it's way cool!

	* Re-added the cancel room download button. Kaos's fix should
	  cover the downloading room problem.

	* Fixed a problem where dcc transfer types were not set for all
	  types.

	* A notice will be sent in the text chat window when personal
	  information is sent to a user.

	* Hopefully fixed the logging  user problem which showed a * user
	  in the corner.

Fri Jan 14 19:58:51 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 in progress

	* Fixed a bug reported by Neo <neo@openverse.org> which had pretty
	  much broken AvEd alltogether.

	* Fixed a bug where if you joined a server without names on, It
	  would give you an error when right clicking on the main screen.

	* Applied a fix and an alternate fix which Kaos found with
	  canceling room downloads and loosing the ability to change rooms
	  once this happens. There is discussion on the list on which fix
	  to this problem is better.

	* Added a gnome toolbar icon with help provided by David
	  Tabachnikov <captain@isdn.net.il> I do not run gome so this has
	  not been tested. Please let me know od any problems.

Fri Jan 13 22:18:42 EST 2000	Beta 0.8 in progress

	* Fixed some bugs I created with the bug fixes.

	* Based on some information I found on the Tcler's Wiki I have
	  been making some changes to the code which increase overall
	  performance of things. Overtime... You should see some drastic
	  speed improvements and I should learn some better tcl coding
	  practices :) The URL for the TCLer's WiKi is here....

		http://216.110.35.177/cgi-bin/wikit/0.html

		Specific perfomance information is here...

		http://216.110.35.177/cgi-bin/wikit/348.html

	* Fixed a bug reported by UnUnUnium which would cause errors when
	  names were turned off and the user was changing rooms.

Wed Jan 12 18:23:36 EST 2000

	* Fixed some potential security problems with sanity checking of
	  filenames. This information was provided by Joseph Nicholas
	  Yarbrough <pimpsmurf@sostech.net>

Sun Jan  9 14:10:11 EST 200

	* Fixed the problem with the default host being set to the
	  currently connected host.

	* Made the avatar selector and the availability selectors on the
	  setup screen stand out a little bit.

Sat Jan  8 00:43:54 EST 2000

	* Enabled Personal Information to be sent. It will pop up a window
	  when it is received with all of the user's personal information.
	  Currently, the image is not transfered nor displayed. TODO on
	  this feature is to get a button for the user's web page which
	  will bring the web page up. Also in the LONG future, the ability
	  to put web links in the info section.

Fri Jan  7 22:15:48 EST 2000

	* Added a new trap for the ProcessCommand function.
	  You'll find the usual info on this trap in Globals.tcl.

Wed Jan  5 19:47:12 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 In Progress

	* Added a server configuration option which allows a server
	  administrator to turn on or off the availability of the PUSH
	  command. You will find this in the server.cfg file. The default
	  setting is ON. (This is my comprimise folks)

	* Added a new trap for ShowName This is documented slightly with
	  the others in Globals.tcl

	* Fixed a problem with the Query code where the name tag was
	  turning black when you are another user whcih you had in query
	  mode moved around ont he screen. Also, the nametag will be blue
	  while they are moving now whereas before the nametag would be
	  black during the duration of the move.

	* Hooked up the Rot13 encoding. You activate this by typing
	  /rot13. All outgoing text will be encoded with rot13 encoding
	  and all incoming text will also be decoded with rot13. If the
	  end user is not speaking with rot13, it will appear to have
	  encoded it. Also added a /rerot command which will
	  re-encode/decode the text chat window for you. Rot13 encryption
	  is not at all secure. This is inteded to be used for situations
	  where what you are saying might offend someone (such as a movie
	  spoiler) and by encoding it with rot13 only people interested in
	  the information would decode your message.

Mon Jan  3 23:41:49 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 In Progress

	* Added a rot13 encryption routine. It's not tied to anything yet
	  but it will be in the future.

Fri Sat  1 23:52:34 EST 2000		Beta 0.8 In Progress

	* Fixed a bug where if you were changing rooms while downloading a
	  room image, it would load the wrong image once it finished.

	* Added some code to clean up the remote images directory on
	  startup. It will remove images based on the MV(keep_images)
	  setting which is a value of days. The default value int he
	  config file is 3 days.

	* Added a delete entry button to AvEd which will let you delete an
	  entry from the list of images for your avatar. (sketch begged)

	* Fixed the problem with AvEd where the select image button was
	  incorectly working as the add image button.

--
Cruise - See you there!
OpenVerse Visual Chat - http://openverse.org/