List:       rdesktop-users
Subject:    Re: [rdesktop-users] Problems with Smartcard reader passthrough
From:       Peter_Åstrand <astrand () cendio ! se>
Date:       2009-09-14 12:38:14

I'm not surprised that the serial port redirection approach doesn't work;
that implementation is little used and somewhat incomplete. Using the
PC/SC redirection is a better approach. Still, other users have reported
that there are issues, especially with Windows XP. You might want to take
a look in the SF bug/patch tracker and see if you'll find a solution
there.

Best regards,
Peter

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:

> Hi,
> we're testing smart card passthrough from a Linux system to a virtual machine
> with Windows XP using Rdesktop, i.e. the application using the smart card
> runs inside the virtual machine.
>
> Two smart card readers need to be supported, one is a Omnikey 3121 USB reader
> and the other a Chipdrive Micro 120 using a serial line. Unfortunately, both
> approaches fail; the smart cards are not detected in the Windows hardware
> device management inside the virtual machine. See below for details.
>
> The drivers for the individual smart cards have been installed inside the
> Windows virtual machine and we've verified with a native Windows XP
> installation that they work (we used the Windows freeware tool "Chipcard
> Master" to read a German bank card). So, the problem must be somewhere in the
> way the smartcard devices are tunneled through rdesktop:
>
> We're using rdesktop 1.6 based on the package from Debian unstable. It has
> been compiled with the following configure invocation:
>
> ./configure --host=i486-linux-gnu --build=i486-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man -
> -infodir=\${prefix}/share/info --with-ipv6 --enable-smartcard --with-debug-smartcard
>
> PS/SC Lite 1.5.5 was used on the Linux side with the CCID driver 1.3.8 as the
> PS/SC driver for the Omnikey reader.
>
> 1. Omnikey 3121 (USB)
> The smart card reader seems to be properly detected on the Linux side.
> pcsc_scan finds the reader and inserting the bank card shows status messages
> about "Card removed" and "Card inserted, Unresponsive card"
>
> We're starting rdesktop with the following command. The "Win name" is the name
> the card reader had by default in the native Windows installation.
>
> rdesktop -r scard:"OmniKey CardMan 3121 00 00"="Cardman 3x21"
> $IP_ADDRESS_OF_VM
>
> Static/aliased Device:
>    Lin name: [OmniKey CardMan 3121 00 00]
>    Win name: [Cardman 3x21]
>    Vendor   : []
> Autoselected keyboard map de
> SCARD: SCardAccessStartedEvent()
> SCARD: SCardEstablishContext()
> SCARD: -> Success (context: 0x010321d3)
> SCARD: SCardListReaders(context: 0x010321d3)
> SCARD: -> Success
> SCARD: SCardGetStatusChange(context: 0x010321d3, timeout: 0xffffffff, count:
> 2)
> SCARD:      "\\?PnP?\Notification"
> SCARD:            user: 0x00000000, state: 0x00000001, event: 0x00000000
> SCARD:                  current state: 0x00000000
> SCARD:      "OmniKey CardMan 3121 00 00"
> SCARD:            user: 0x00000000, state: 0x00000010, event: 0x00000000
> SCARD:                  current state: 0x00000010
> SCARD: SCardEstablishContext()
> SCARD: -> Success (context: 0x01038765)
> SCARD: SCardListReaders(context: 0x01038765)
> SCARD: -> Success
> SCARD: SCardListReaders(context: 0x01038765)
> SCARD: -> Success

> [...]

---
Peter Ã…strand		ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB		http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping	Phone: +46-13-21 46 00